Friday, December 19, 2008

Simple? Who Wants That?!

      My old teacher (the head of the now closed school) wanted to meet with us today at the college itself to give to me my transcript. We went there a little bit early just in case; it never hurts to be prepared. The meeting time passed and we continued to wait. Eventually she showed up, around ten minutes late but I was in no hurry. Apparently there was an accident involving multiple cars and that’s why she was delayed.

      So she comes up and hands the transcript to me and starts talking about the status of my education. She states that I’ve finished up to a certain level and that I was actually only a few credits away from graduating. Then she says that she hadn’t placed any of my previously earned credits for the final year on the transcript precisely because it was incomplete and that if I went back to her to finish she would give me all of my credits proper (it can’t be legal to exclude credits on a whim?! I’m not going to stand for this). At that point I wasn’t very pleased and I knew right then and there that it wasn’t right. When it’s someone’s future you’re messing up, especially if you’re supposed to be a teacher, it’s just not right at all. I don’t believe she did it out of any malicious will but still I think it’s unacceptable.

      Her and my father then began talking for a while; I knew it wasn’t going to end quickly. When my father starts there’s pretty much no stopping. Among some of the things my old teacher mentioned was that she said her identity was stolen and she’d lost all her money and so on. She then claimed that she was dealing with the FBI about it and that she had received multiple E-Mails from the same FBI E-Mail address but from two separate people; both of them telling her that she wasn’t supposed to deal with the other. Then she also claimed that she was hearing Christmas music all the time in her head that no one else could hear. She continued saying that once she had gotten a lawyer to deal with the FBI because of the contradictory emails that the music suddenly stopped and she didn’t hear it again.

      She also mentioned other colorful events but I don’t think it’d be appropriate to go into that here. Personally I’d just attribute it to her age since she is quite old. She even once told me that her grandmother was at the last Indian raid on a town in the US; so that should give you a good idea time-wise. I really don’t know how true any of what she said at our meeting was, and I’m certainly not getting involved. I realize how ridiculous it all sounds and I’m not trying to slander anyone here; merely stating events and facts as they happened. So I certainly hope no one gets the wrong impression.

      She then began talking about my educational situation again. She claimed that it was too late in the year for her to register and re-open her school. Then she mentioned that if we registered ourselves as a private school that she would come to our house and help to finish my few credits that I didn’t yet have. She went on to say that it would take two years to finish and that it would be one-hundred dollars an hour or if that was too much seventy-five or if that was too much even cheaper; she seemed fairly desperate for work in my opinion which I can totally understand if she was having such difficult money issues.

      Maybe I missed something here but I don’t quite understand how we would be able to register if she couldn’t; it was beginning to sound like more trouble than it was worth. I also am not willing to go through two years just for a handful of credits (and missing credits that she didn’t put on the transcript) so that I could start college. This really didn’t sound appealing at all considering the fact that classes available at the college to finish my few remaining credits wouldn’t even take half that long if very much time at all.

      Not much later she left and as I got into the truck with my father I quickly learned he felt more or less exactly how I did about the whole situation and what had just occurred. Hopefully I’m not going to lose credits over some arbitrary decision; I’m certainly not going let it go without a fight. I'm going to go through as many people as I need to in order to get this resolved.

      Somewhat unrelated again but my father had bought the wrong size gypsum (sheet rock) and so we had to load back into the truck and return seven of the eight 4’ x 8’ sheets which was not what I wanted to do today. When we got to the store I found out that the size he needed was in fact 4’ x 12’ sheets of gypsum; eight of them. Eight twelve foot sheets of sheet rock. I was not exactly eager to move them all.

From 12/19/08
      After we paid for them and began moving the sheets to load them into the truck I thought they were simply too large for the truck to carry back home without snapping apart. I told my father this and he said it’d be fine so I just said “Ok” since it wasn’t my money and continued to help loading them. Once we had about three or four sheets on the truck bed he decided he didn’t want the sheets we had loaded because they were scratched and would require taping and some other additional work he didn’t want to do. They were kept outside of the store and thus exposed to the weather so I could understand why he didn’t want the top most ones, I guess. We then unloaded those and loaded undamaged sheets. Well after a few new sheets in I again pointed out that I didn’t think it was going to work, especially with them stacked they drooped down over the edge of the tailgate even more. A random passerby drove up to the loading area (to get his own supplies) and commented how it wouldn’t work either.

From 12/19/08
      At this point my father gave in and went in to buy some planks of wood to place on the bottom of the truck bed to support the weight of the protruding portions of the sheet rock. So then we had to unload about five of the twelve foot sheets, place the planks of wood into the bed and reload the sheets all over again. During this one of the workers thought my father had stolen the wood and was trying to steal the gypsum and went to get the manager. The manager came out and didn’t look very happy (though it was obvious why) and asked to see our receipts which we clearly did have. In order to avoid appearing as if he was singling out customers he then very slowly wandered around the area asking other customers to see their receipts. This was nothing short of hilarious to watch due to his embarrassment. We continued loading until we had all eight sheets needed, at which point I had to go into the store and buy something to drink since I was thirsty from all the lifting which wasn’t exactly light in weight.

From 12/19/08
      When we arrived home we again unloaded and moved the sheets into the house. When that was done my hands were killing me, it’s not so much that they were in pain but it felt like my fingers were just going to fall off at each and every joint. Like I’ve said in my previous post, I just consider this my very first step in physical training. It turned out to be kind of funny actually because after we were finished my father said something similar.

      I just hope after I get into exercise a bit that I’ll start to build up a little more endurance. I know it’s only going to get harder, but I’ll do my best to prepare.

No comments:

Post a Comment