Thursday, December 18, 2008

When Paperwork is Not Enough...

We went to pick up my transcript from the Jones County Board of Education today only to find that they did not have the transcript. Apparently the teacher had never turned in the transcripts of any of the students to the board of education despite the fact that the school had been closed for a while now and I hadn’t been there in a couple years. I would think there would be some kind of law or even a regulation requiring you to turn them in but I didn’t care so long as I was able to get mine.

The receptionist said my old teacher had called previously that day to update her phone number and at that time she requested the transcript to which my old teacher told the receptionist that she wanted us to call her personally and arrange a meeting to pick up the transcript. The entire situation was getting overly complicated for my taste but again I didn’t care so long as I was able to get my transcript and get on with my attempt to become a pilot.

I don’t want to say anything bad about anyone but this sort of thing should be resolved internally rather than requiring you to do a lot of the running around to get your own papers that should have been stored with the board of education to begin with. Regardless they refunded my processing fee which was two dollars. I just so happened to pay with a single two dollar bill which was now replaced with two separate one dollar bills. I certainly didn’t mind as the entire point of my spending two dollar bills is to spread their circulation around but I just think it's funny how quickly people jump at the chance to obtain them. You can get them from most banks if you request it.

At any rate we then returned to Havelock High School to pick up my transcript there. Knowing it was already there was comforting since I knew the entire ordeal with obtaining them was halfway resolved. I don’t know how it is at most colleges but the one that I will be at (Craven Community College) requires the transcripts to be sealed; I guess people have tried tampering with them. So as we were leaving I looked at the envelope to make certain it was properly sealed and labeled when I noticed that my name was wrong.

They had placed my middle name as if it were my first and dropped my first name completely. When I went back to get it fixed they claimed that they didn’t know which was my first or middle name. Again I don’t understand what the confusion was because I had written my name on the form cleanly and correctly. I didn’t think ‘oh hey this’ll be a neat trick’ and reverse my names or anything. Despite the error it was resolved in a minute or so and I was on my way again.

Hopefully the other transcript will be obtained without error or difficulty though at this point I don’t know how likely that’ll be.

No comments:

Post a Comment